This project is a combination of re-erecting the 1951 original headquarters building 25′ forward on the site and creating a new state of the art 500,000 sqft conjoined office building at the rear of the original building. The project consists of 133,000 sqft of limestone, granite, and decorative interior marble walls and floors, it also included installing precious bas relief white marble sculptures measuring 8’x6’x6″ thick.
The original building was previously dismantled and left in a very rough state, which required Rugo to mobilize off-site for 11 months to carefully catalog each piece so that we could recreate a shop drawing based on actual sizes of this massive load-bearing limestone. The off-site activity required 2 full-time project managers combined with a crew of up 20 skilled restoration stonemasons to repair and re-fabricate the existing granite and limestone into shapes that would accommodate the new design. The original building consisted of many massive 11″ thick panels, the largest measuring 22′ long x 6′ tall x 5′ thick, all installed with a 3/16″ joint. The new office building was highly articulated using 3″ and 5″ granite and limestone, all set with independent relief angles to form the new building facade. The interior floor is rich in decorative marble floors and stairs with large inlaid letters creating various cultural statements relevant to the core beliefs of the Red Cross:
2003 Washington Building Congress Award Winner for Exterior Stone Craftsmanship