This historic courthouse, constructed in 1881, was destroyed by a fire in November of 2004.
Rugo Stone was contracted to dismantle the remaining portico entry limestone columns and stabilize the surrounding area. Rugo had to reproduce the four large Ionic limestone column capitals based on field measurements and models we created from the remaining fragments. Rugo restored and patched most of the limestone column shafts, but many needed full replacement due to the severity of fire damage. We also removed and replaced most of the entry limestone steps, window sills, and lintels.
The project was successfully completed on time with no lost time or accidents.
Location: Upper Marlboro, MD
Owner: Prince Georges County Government
General Contractor: Coakley Williams Construction
Size: 8,000 sqft
Services: Cataloging, dismantle, restoration, and furnish new and install